Monday, October 22, 2012

There's a hole through my foot!!

So I know this doesn't have anything to do with crafts but it is still a story of what happened to me that I want people to learn from. DON'T LEAVE KNIVES ON THE GROUND!! This would go under the 'Such' part of this blog. ;)

**WARNING** If you are at all squeamish I would NOT read or look at the pictures in the following post. 






Now that I posted the warning we can move on to the story about how I got a hole through my foot..... 

On Saturday, March 24th we got a trampoline and were setting it up. I got a serrated steak knife so that we could open the boxes. Everything was going really well. We started to put the springs on. We got through the first box of springs and were on to the next. When James was done using the steak knife to cut open the box he handed it to me and I just threw it off to the side. James tells me, "Honey you should probably move that, It's not a good idea to leave it on the ground." I tell him, "I will in second." Then that still small voice inside tells me that I really should move that knife. I'm thinking to myself "OK I will, I will I just want to help James with the springs really fast and then I'll move it". A few minutes later almost all of the springs are on. There were just a few that needed springs so I tell Ana that I will race her around the tramp hanging the springs on the rest of the loops. Well as we are running around the tramp I must have stepped on the end of the handle of the serrated steak knife and made it pop up and then when I brought my other foot forward to run it stabbed in the top of my foot. I didn't even realize it was in my foot until I took a few steps and looked down wondering what was hanging off of my foot. And this is what I see:

This is a drawing that I did to show you how it looked on the top of my foot. It's not exactly accurate, but you get the idea.

At this point I don't know what I am thinking. All I say is, "Honey....." James looks down and says, "Holy $h!t! What did you just do?!?!" I tell him that he needs to get a towel. The girls are freaking out. So while he's in the house getting a towel I pull out the knife (even though I don't remember doing it) and All this blood comes rushing out. So I lift up my foot from my shoe and there is just a pool of blood in my shoe. I remember looking down and saying, "Oh my gosh that is a lot of blood!" as soon as I say that Ana is hysterical!!! She goes running into the house Kimberly not too far behind her. I feel really dizzy and sick to my stomach so I just fall on the ground. I'm sure it's because of how much blood I lost in such a little time. James comes running out with a towel and puts it on my foot and then calls my Mom so that she can come sit with the kids while we figure out what to do. So My Mom and Sister-in-law Kara come over as quickly as they can. Because of how much blood I lost and the look of the cuts James decides to call 911. So we have 4 cop cars, 1 fire truck and 1 ambulance come over. They look at it and take my blood pressure, my temp and ask me questions. I really don't remember a whole lot. They wrap my foot up and tell me that I have a choice to either ride in the ambulance or go on my own to the ER. I didn't think it was necessary to go in the ambulance. Instead of getting wheeled out on a stretcher two paramedics carried me to the car. It was really embarrassing for me because there where a bunch of people outside wondering what was going on. I'm sure I looked beet red even though I was pretty pale after losing a lot of blood.
So we get to a room in the ER and they remove the bandages and this is what it looked like: 


Pretty gross!! It was really starting to hurt at this point. He has me wiggle my toes and I do. He pushes on the top of my big toe and tells me to push his finger up with my toe and I do. He checks to make sure I didn't brake any bones and I didn't. I was pretty lucky! It was a miracle that I didn't hit any tendons or arteries. So the Doctor tells me that he will have to do stitches. But before he does that they have to numb me and then clean my cuts. The numbing part hurt the worst because they have to stick the needle right into the cuts to numb them. To clean my cuts they spray water in one cut and water starts coming out the other cut. So we got it on video:

 

Don't worry I can't feel a thing because I am numb. After playing with the water it was time to get serious :) and have the doctor put stitches in. I ended up getting 6 stitches in the cut on top of my foot and 4 in the cut on the side of my foot. So 10 stitches total. 


What I learned from this whole thing: 
#1- Listen to my Husband
#2- Listen to the still small voice
#3- Keep sharp objects OFF of the ground!!

No comments:

Post a Comment